The Social Security Administration requires that original documents be submitted with your application for benefits. You may take them to the local SSA office or mail them in with your application. The SSA will copy the documents and return theoriginals to you.

The types of original documents required are:

  • Proof of age (i.e., birth certificate) and Social Security Number (SSN)
  • List of employers and the type of work you did ‐ typically for the last 15 years
  • W‐2 forms for the last 10 years or tax returns, if you were self‐employed
  • Names, addresses and phone numbers for all doctors, hospitals, therapists, clinics, that you have visited andthe dates of all visits
  • Complete medical records, including laboratory and test results
  • Listing of all medications you are currently taking and the dosage of each
  • Adult Disability Report (Form SSA‐3368)

Contact the Hartwig Law Firm at (508)732-8989 if you have questions about filing your disability claim.