One of the primary reasons applications are denied is a lack of supporting documentation.
That’s why you need to make sure that your initial application is as complete as possible. Yes, I understand the application process can be very time consuming, but not getting everything together for the SSA is one reason so many applications are initially denied.
And if your initial application is denied, the Reconsideration process may take as long as 4-6 months, sometimes longer. This translates into thousands of dollars in missed benefits and could result in financial hardship for your family.
The Social Security Administration requires that original documents be submitted with your application for benefits. You may take them to the local SSA office or mail them in with your application.
The SSA will copy the documents and return the originals to you.
The types of original documents required are:
- Proof of age (i.e., birth certificate) and Social Security Number (SSN).
- List of employers and the type of work you did – typically for the last 15 years.
- W-2 forms for the last 10 years or tax returns, if you were self-employed.
- Names, addresses and phone numbers for all doctors, hospitals, therapists, clinics, etc. that you have visited and the dates of all visits.
- Complete medical records, including laboratory and test results.
- Listing of all medications you are currently taking and the dosage of each.
- Adult Disability Report (Form SSA-3368).
The information you provide will be reviewed by the Disability Determination Services (DDS) department and discussed at your disability application interview.
If you have questions regarding Social Security Disability call Hartwig Law Firm today at (508)732-8989